Magnificat for Choir and Orchestra – Michael John Trotta
Available – iTunes
Magnificat CD is a 40-minute work for choir, soprano and bass soli, and orchestra. This seven-movement work delivers a tapestry of melodic richness that powerfully portrays the anticipation of the wonder and mystery of the birth of a savior.
The text of the work is part of the Luke infancy narrative taken from the Visitation. It has a long musical and liturgical history with notable settings by Vivaldi, Bach, and more recently by John Rutter. Additional texts were selected from the medieval period and Mary’s response at the Annunciation. Despite its history of bring on of the oldest Christian hymns the text is still part of daily devotional use around the world today.
Magnificat CD was commissioned by a consortium of 7 choirs for simultaneous nationwide premieres during the 2019-2020 season:
- Commissioning Ensembles:
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church Choir – Seattle, WA Michael Monnikendam, Director of Music Ministries
- Sanctuary Choir of First Baptist Church – San Antonio, TX Dr. Aaron C. Hufty, Associate Pastor of Worship and Music
- University of Alabama at Birmingham – Birmingham, AL Dr. Brian Kittredge, Director of Choral Activity
- Wellington High School Choirs – Palm Beach, FL Bradford Chase, Director
- Memorial Presbyterian Church – St, Augustine, FL Ray McDonald – Director of Music and Organist
- Athens First United Methodist Church – Athens, GA Stephen Mitchell, Director of Music
- First Presbyterian Church of Mendham “Hilltop Church” – Mendham, NJ James Wynne, Director of Music Ministries
“tender harmonies and a palette of glowing vocal and instrumental colors” – Gramophone